In normal use the dry cell batteries described on this site should
provide no hazard, but you can help prevent any misuse or dangers
by using the following safety and general information instructions.
Try not to touch dry cell batteries with your fingers or with metal
tweezers because this may discharge the battery, use insulated (plastic
or nylon) tweezers. If you have to use your fingers, then make sure
you do not touch both flat sides of the battery, use the outer edge
as this will prevent you from discharging the battery.
Clean contacts with a pencil rubber, a little Meths if necessary.
Using abrasive paper is a last resort. The contacts will originally
have been plated and the exposed metal will quickly corrode. Poor
contacts are the most common reason for battery appliances not working.
It is hazardous to burn any battery. It can explode, the chemicals
inside are dangerous, the metal oxides produced can be toxic.
Do not attempt to recharge dry cell batteries that are not specifically
designed to be recharged, they can leak and in, some cases, rupture
Inspect battery compartments every few months to be sure that batteries
are not leaking.
Inspect batteries for defects such as bulging, cracks, leakage.
Don't use suspect batteries.
Keep out of young children's reach, as the button cell batteries
are small enough to swallow.
Replace all batteries at one time. The replacement of a partial
set or mixing batteries from the different chemical systems exposes
the device to the possibility of electrolyte leakage and damage
through over-discharge of the lower capacity batteries.
Don't leave loose batteries in your pocket or handbag as they could
discharge on each other and even rupture if put too close to heat.
Keep dry cell batteries in original packaging until ready to use.
This helps to identify damage, such as swelling and leakage of batteries.
Remove the batteries if the device will not be used for several